myPHR twitter feed FAQs About Us Contact Us



Accessing Your Health Records

You have the right to access your health records. You may view or receive copies of your records, or instead request a summary of the information. Ask for an “authorization for the release of information” form. Complete the form and return it to the facility as directed. Most facilities do charge for copies. The fee can only include the cost of copying (including supplies and labor), as well as postage if you request the copy to be mailed. Allow sufficient time for your request to be processed. It is a good idea ask when you can expect to receive the information you requested.

You also have the right to request that changes be made to your health record. If you believe that information in your record is incomplete or incorrect, you can request an amendment. Amendments can be requested by either contacting the person who made the entry (such as your doctor) or by contacting your healthcare organization’s health information management professional. If your request for an amendment is denied you may still request that your request for a change be kept with the record and given to anyone who requests a copy of your health information. Also, you may choose to include the amended information in your PHR.